Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmasy Season? Why not all Year Round?

So, I am directly procrastinating under the eye of my cookie-making mom, and I dedcided to do a blog post about something OTHER than the latest action movie. I decided to write about something that was on my mind. I have always struggled with the idea of me being nice than everyone. I would rather talk with people adn understand them, which seems contrary to the idea of 'full steam ahead' mememe focus that is pervasice. Sure, people still help out and volunteer, but in day to day interactions people seem to be involved in fast fast fast, focus on my problems which are huge, not like others, no one understands me, I'm gonna solo it. But two incidents recently reinforced the need for me to nice, and made me realize that being nice is always worth it. Two people which I am involved with periphally recently highlighted this idea. Lets call them Mrs. A and Ms. B. Mrs. A was involved in something that she wasn't aware of. It caused laughter at my table and almost a sense of pity. But no one stepped up and helped her out. I stepped up, and helped remedy the situation. ( Not to toot my own horn). She ended up in tears. But here's the thing. The people who sat with me did nothing and laughted at the pain caused by the revelation, and then said that I was a good guy for doing that. But, whats so good about doing what I would want someone to do in my place, if I was in that situation? The fact that I did was was supposed to be done in the best way possible, and got lauded for it, leaves me baffled. The other situation, with Ms. B, is happier. She was really nervous about a performance she had to do, and I just did what was natural. Reassurance was needed, reassurance was given, and everything turned out ok. But she was so thankful, it hammered home the point that niceness can give.

I guess what I'm saying is, why do people go out of their way to be angry and bitter, when they can be uplifting and positive with the same amount of energy? I know, people have asked this question for ions, and results are varied.  But what possible reason do we have to spend more energy to be angry at everyone? Sure, the worlds a hard place, and it doesn't seem to be a nice place. But why do people have to spend even more energy to be angry and make it  a worse off place? Both Mrs. A and Ms. B were really happy that I was what I take for granted. What does that say abou the state of the world as a whole? As before, I have no solutions. I have no ideas. I jsut have my thoughts, sticking them to the wall, as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment